Choosing the right gaming headset for total game immersion
With so many brands, models and features in the market, how do you choose the perfect gaming headsets? What is it that you need to look for when selecting gaming headsets?
Determine your platform, do you want wired or wireless, what physical connections you need, how good the sound is, how much noise can be isolated, and are they comfortable. How well are they built, do they have a quality microphone and finally the cost; are you getting value for your money.
Headsets can be either wired or wireless. Both have their pros and cons.
Wired Gaming Headsets
- Wired headsets generally have two main connection options; USB ports or 3.5mm Jacks.
- Wired headsets are more affordable compared to wireless ones.
- They are perfect for gamers on a strict budget, but they still have various features designed to suit all your gaming needs.
- Wired headsets do not need recharging; you’ll never have to worry about batteries running out in the middle of a game.
- As they are plug-and-play, they are easy and convenient to use.
- On the other hand, wired headsets are more prone to tangling compared to wireless headsets.
- Usually, wired headsets come with long connection cables which can often become tangled, making them hard to use and prone to damage.
- Wired headsets can only reach so far, restricting you to one position.
Consider all these factors before choosing a wired pair of gaming headset.
Wireless Gaming Headsets
- Wireless headsets use either a Wireless USB dongle or Bluetooth to connect to your computer or gaming console.
- Perhaps the most significant advantage of using wireless headsets is that they have less restriction, meaning you can sit, stand or walk around while using them during gaming.
- Wireless headsets will work with any gaming console or any device that supports wireless standards.
- Although wireless headsets have a risk of running out of battery power in the middle of a gaming session, newer models have longer battery life. Often, these are the most expensive models.
Do you want Active Noise Cancellation and or Passive Noise Cancellation?
- Passive noise cancellation describes headsets that block sound from external sources using the actual physical device such as over-the-ear headsets.
- Active noise cancellation eliminates sound by filtering background noises for crisp, clear and high-quality audio. This feature is the more advanced method out of the two but is usually more expensive and tends to drain your batteries.
The best option is to purchase a headset that offers the best of these two noise isolation features.
The sound quality of gaming headsets will make all sounds crisp and clear, enhancing your gameplay. You can choose between Stereo, Virtual Surround or 3D sound.
- Stereo headsets have a 3.5mm connection, so they are compatible with most platforms and game consoles.
- Virtual Surround Headsets provide better sound clarity. You will be able to hear which direction the sound is coming from.
- 3D Sound headsets provide a more precise sound and a more realistic listening experience. Hear sounds all around, including above and below.
Gaming sessions can last many hours; therefore, the headsets you choose must be comfortable to wear for extended periods.
- The ear cups and headband must offer a comfortable fit otherwise if either is too tight, they might restrict blood flow, causing fatigue and headaches.
- Both the headband and ear cups should be comfortable and made of breathable materials.
- Consider the weight of gaming headsets when deciding on a pair of headsets. Purchase a lightweight pair of headsets as heavier headsets can cause headaches and fatigue, so you can’t use them for extended periods.
Open or Closed Design
An open design means that the ear cups do not completely cover your ears, making them highly breathable and comfortable. A closed design means that the ear cups completely cover your ears. You won’t hear any external noises from the outside world.
Headsets with good microphones provide better voice clarity through their excellent noise-cancellation feature enabling clear communication with other gamers.
Build Quality and Aesthetics
If you’re looking to purchase a high-quality pair of gaming headsets, then you need to be confident that they will last endure many years of continuous use. Your headsets should not only be comfortable but also constructed of high-grade materials.
Gaming headsets vary significantly in price depending on the brand, model, and quality.
Cheaper brands do not offer superior sound quality, comfort, or even durability of more expensive headsets. If you want something to last for many years, consider going for a medium to high-range model.
Choosing the right gaming headset can be confusing, but the best way to enhance your experience is by using the best quality headset you can afford.